Every adult in NSW will receive a $50 travel voucher for accommodation

0

All adults in New South Wales will receive a $50 Stay and Rediscover voucher next year to be used for accommodation to boost the state’s tourism sector.

New South Wales Premier Dominic Perrottet this morning announced more than $500 million in investments to ‘create tourism opportunities across the state’, half of which is allocated to the exchange scheme good.

It comes as NSW reported 283 new local cases of COVID-19 and seven deaths. A total of 81.6% of the state’s population over the age of 16 is fully immunized, with 75.4% of 12- to 15-year-olds having received a dose.

A man in his 40s from the NSW Hunter region was among seven new deaths from COVID-19 reported in the state on Wednesday. The Maitland man died in hospital and was not vaccinated.

Three more men have died in the NSW area since yesterday’s update, all aged 90 and having contracted their infections in aged care facilities. Two of the men were fully vaccinated residents of the Tarrawana aged care facility, north of Wollongong. A third man resided at the Mercy Place aged care facility in Albury, southern New South Wales, and was not vaccinated.

The three remaining deaths were a partially vaccinated man in his 50s from inner-city Sydney who died at home and tested positive after his death, a 70-year-old woman also from inner-city and a 70-year-old woman from the South West from Sydney. Both women were unvaccinated.

Speaking in Sydney on Wednesday morning, Mr Perrottet said he wanted tourism funding to “boost” businesses and attractions.

He said the shelter program is being piloted and will launch statewide in March. Vouchers will be available in the Service NSW app.

Holiday and leisure travel between Sydney and the regions will resume for those fully vaccinated against COVID-19 on November 1.

NSW Tourism Minister Stuart Ayres said they expect a ‘strong tourist summer’ and the March start date for the accommodation voucher scheme is to ‘stretch over these in-between periods’ until June.

The scheme was originally advertised as $100 vouchers for use in Sydney’s CBD, but Mr Ayres said this was delayed after “the Delta variant came into effect”. The new program costs $50 and can be used statewide.

Last week, the state government announced residents would receive two additional $25 Dine and Discover vouchers, to be used for hospitality and entertainment and valid through June 2022.

The tourism investment includes a $60m aviation attraction fund, and Mr Ayres said they would be ‘market aggressive’ to get international airlines to offer more flights to Sydney.

The flight package will include grants, such as empty seats, and marketing campaign opportunities in partnership with the state government and Destination NSW.

Mr Ayres said airlines had made business decisions to reallocate flights from Australia and Sydney Airport was operating at around 1% of its traditional revenue.

‘We shouldn’t be arrogant enough to think that just because we’ve reopened the border, or lifted the quarantine, that every commercial operator in the world is just going to come back to Australia,’ he said.

Mr Perrottet said that by lifting the quarantine for fully vaccinated international arrivals and having the Aviation Attraction Fund, NSW was signaling to the rest of the country and the world that it was open for business.

“No one is going to Australia if you have to sit in a hotel for two weeks and you can’t leave,” he said.

“If you wait [to act]you will not get the result.

Ayres also announced $150 million under the Tourism Recovery Program to support small, medium and large events, including $50 million focused on the regions.

“It’s about making sure that these events that may have fallen over the past two years can get back on their feet,” he said.

Our latest news alert will be notify you important breaking news as it happens. Get it here.

Share.

Comments are closed.