November Highlights in History: First house built in what would become Santa Maria | Shirley Contreras | Local News

0

November 13, 1849: Henry Teftt is elected first member of the Assembly of San Luis Obispo.

November 1868: John Prell built the first house in what would become Central City and later Santa Maria.

November 1868: The Battles family arrives in Suey Canyon.

November 1871: Theodore LeRoy files a plan of subdivision of Rancho Guadalupe and reserves LeRoy Park for the use and enjoyment of the townspeople.

November 1887: The Pacific Coast Railway reaches Los Olivos.

November 10, 1896: opening of the first post office in Casmalia with Frank A. Vandoit as postmaster.

November 3, 1903: The Japanese Guadalupe Association, originally called Kyowa Kai, is organized.

November 9, 1909: The Bicknell Post Office was established. It closed on February 29, 1940.

November 2, 1917: Postage rates increased to 3 cents, with the exception of letters delivered by the rural town or other carrier which carried the rate at 2 cents. Postcards with written messages sold for 2 cents.

November 28, 1921: The new two-story wooden dormitory for the children of Japanese field workers was recognized as the Japanese children’s home in Guadalupe.

November 5, 1923: Los Angeles Illustrated News quoted Cornelius Vanderbilt as saying the Santa Maria Inn was “by far the best little hotel in the West.”






The American Legion issued a statement on the participation of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1923 Armistice Parade. The statement can be found in the lower right corner.




November 11, 1923: Around 15,000 spectators attend the parade commemorating the signing of the armistice, an event that had taken place five years earlier. About a hundred men from the Ku Klux Klans, dressed in their festive clothes, joined the marchers.

November 13, 1925: Paul Harris, founder of Rotary International, visits the Santa Maria section of the organization.

November 1926: The Friends of Jesus, today the United Methodist Church of Christ, are organized in Santa Maria.

November 14, 1929: The Rotary Club, Kiwanis, Minerva Club, American Legion Auxiliary and others gathered for a Red Cross fundraising day at the Bradley Hotel.

November 8, 1932: Henry (Pat) Stubbs is elected to Congress.

November 1934: About 3,000 farm workers and packers go on strike for 10 days, virtually crippling the fruit and vegetable industry in Santa Maria, Guadalupe, Lompoc and southern San Luis Obispo.

November 1934: Mayor Marion Rice chairs the first city council meeting held in the New Town Hall after the building was completed in September of the same year.

November 1934: A seven-year restoration project began on the La Purisima mission by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Union Oil and the Catholic Church had donated most of the land for mission restoration.

November 22, 1939: The groundbreaking is done for the Notre-Dame du Perpétuel Secours hospital with 35 beds. The hospital, better known as Sisters’ Hospital, was located at 125 Airport Drive (now College Drive).

November 15, 1940: Construction begins on the 37,000-acre Camp Roberts, which would have been the country’s largest training base during WWII. The camp was named in honor of Medal of Honor recipient Cpl. Harold Roberts, who lost his life in France valiantly trying to save others.

November 26, 1942: President Roosevelt orders nationwide gas rationing.

November 18, 1943: Elks Lodge # 1538 formed the Elks Recreation Foundation.

November 1946: Santa Barbara County acquires a provisional permit for the Santa Maria military airfield.

November 27, 1947: The Santa Maria Redskins beat the Hemet Tahquetz Packers 7-6 when George Galleson, who had never played in a game before, caught a 35-yard pass in the end zone to tie the game . Franke Reis scored the extra point. Jim Gamble has served as General Manager throughout the club’s seven-year history.

November 7, 1957: the population of Santa Maria reaches 14,177 inhabitants.

November 24, 1958: The Orcutt Mineral Society is formed with 21 members signing the charter.

November 10, 1959: Orcutt Mercantile, owned by Cerfee and Anita Luis, is burnt down.

November 7, 1960: City Council passes a resolution to condemn three lots at the corner of Broadway and East Main Street. This led to the eventual destruction of Whiskey Row.

November 23, 1962: A fire at El Camino School completely destroyed four classrooms and caused extensive water damage throughout the building.

November 10, 1968: the Tunnell school is dedicated to Martin Luther Tunnell.

November 1972: A Diamond Jubilee celebration marked 75 years of Episcopal service in Santa Maria.

November 11, 1973: The flagpole, which once stood at the intersection of Main and Broadway, was designated as a landmark for the city of Santa Maria. The mast is currently standing in front of the town hall.

November 14, 1976: The Reverend Anthony Runtz, then parish priest of Saint-Louis de Montfort church, agrees to resume the celebration of Sunday mass at the San Ramon chapel.

November 1978: The measure to split the counties ended in defeat.

November 7, 1990: The explosion that caused the total destruction of a gas station and garage on Guadalupe Street in Guadalupe was caused by a vapor in a lantern that ignited when the welder turned on his torch to repair the fixture. In addition to the death of the welder and his assistant in the explosion, there was a lot of damage throughout the city. La Maison Basque, formerly Hôtel Commercial, has been closed and has not yet been reopened.

November 6, 1992: The Royce R. Lewellen Justice Center is inaugurated.

November 1996: Thirty-five years after the end of the town of Betteravia, Union Sugar began to demolish the remaining buildings of the company, thus closing an important chapter in the history of Santa Maria.

November 11, 1998: Boy Scouts of America Troop # 91 (originally referred to as Orcutt Troop # 1) celebrated their 70th anniversary.

November 17, 1999: The Guadalupe Dunes Center is inaugurated.


Source link

Share.

Leave A Reply